Monday, August 11, 2008

Great Balls of Rubber

I'm a tool.

Yesterday, I went to Office Max to see the World's Largest Rubber Band Ball. They're touring it all over the country and you can go have your picture taken with it. That's what I did. Why?
Well, when the World's Largest Rubber Band Ball comes within a mile of your home, you go. It's just that simple.

Seeing the ball, in all its grandeur brought back two distinct memories:

1) Many years ago, when my brothers and and other neighbor kids spend a summer day tying hundreds, nay thousands, of rubberbands together to stretch the length of Manorfield Drive. We tied each end of the rubber chain to the backs of bicycles and the riders took off in opposite directions. Ah, good times. In fact, I think it's my only memory that doesn't involve toilet paper, fire, Playboy, dog poo or severe trauma to my body.

2) The other memory the World's Largest Rubber Band Ball brought up was when Tricia and I first started dating. When we'd go to Taco Cabana, I would half-jokingly talk about making a foil ball with the taco wrappers. I got the impression from her reaction that it would be kind of a bad idea. Seeing the World's Largest Rubber Band Ball made me wonder how big that thing would be if I had stuck with it. But then, when I picture myself standing next to my giant ball of foil, I see myself with a big beard and long fingernails. Don't ask why.

1 comments:

Steve milton said...

Hey get your hands off my ball! Lol just joking cool to hear they are doing something with it . I want it back ! Check out other artwork we are doing at miltonsart.com