Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Night Ramblings

I've covered many elections in my career. They're all the same. Supporters gather at the watch party on election night, mingle and cheer their candidate as they step up to the podium to give their victory/concession speech. This usually occurs just before or at 10 p.m. to afford the news stations their sound bites and live shots.

Election night 2008 was different. My assignment was the AlamObama election watch party. Needless to say, their candidate wasn't going to be making any appearance at El Tropicano Hotel in downtown San Antonio.

As the night progressed supporters filled with anticipation. One state after another was projected won by Obama and the exuberance grew.

Finally, CNN declared Obama winner:

From photomark
The flash never seems to go off when I want it to!

Everyone erupted, just as I expected. Just as they do every election. But this night would be different. The celebrating didn't stop. The outpouring continued as supporters relieved themselves of anticipation, expectation, reservation, shock and surprise. Smiles turned to tears. Jumping turned into dancing:




When I'm shooting events, the analytical part of my brain sort of shuts off as I just concentrate on what's unfolding in front of me. Later, after shooting, I'll make sense of it all.
Again, this night would be different.
As I continued shooting my mind kicked in and I began thinking of just how important this moment was. I thought about race and politics and people's hopes and expectations. I thought about being alive during this time and wondering how it compared to the civil rights movement. I thought about the future of the United States and the path our future president would steer us to. I thougt about how so many people didn't put race first. It wasn't just blacks whose eyes swelled with tears. Everyone knew the importance of this day.

I also thought about the mindset of voters so frustrated with how things are they would choose the unknown over the status quo because it at least brought with it the hope for something better.
The truth is, we don't know how effective our future president will be. But, it seems people unified behind an idea — whether it's right or wrong — can be more beneficial than a correct idea that divides people.
Taking it all in.

As President-elect Obama gave his victory speech, local supporters gathered around several televisions to listen and watch.
This might as well have been Grant Park that night.
The group listened intently, with adoration in their eyes.

One older lady waved back at Obama through the television as he made his appearance.

This man who so many have pinned their hopes on, who seems so much larger than life, was so accessible.


As Obama left the stage, the locals filed out into the streets, heading home amid the blare of car horns ringing throughout downtown. They left with an optimism that had been missing in the past. Confident that with a refreshed mindset, this country can achieve greatness.

1 comments:

vobbie said...

great photos mark! I like em!
Vahid