Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Nice Niece

This is my niece, Aigerim. She became a full-fledged adult last week. In the Baha'i Faith, 15 years is considered the age of maturity, where a person becomes fully responsible for their own spiritual growth and actions. I think she reached that point well before 15 years, but that's another story.
Tricia and I went to her party at the family compound in Grainger last weekend and had a swell time. All her friends and family attended and we shared stories about Aigerim. It got me thinking about the first time I met her.
My brother and his wife adopted Aigerim from an orphanage in Kazakhstan about ten years ago. When she came to the U.S. she had an instant family, with four siblings to welcome her. Here was this little girl, removed from an orphanage and put into a family of crazies. Speaking a different language. In another country.
But man, did she smile! And always quick with a hug.
She's grown, as has her family. And she's still smiling. And hugging.

After all the talking and eating, it was time to do the Macarena.

Then things started getting crazy...



And we rocked out on some Metallica. Aigerim backed me up on lead guitar.

0 comments: